The topic of sustainability has been coming up relatively frequently. From midwifery practice to gardening and cloth diapering to recycling, the concept of sustainability is quite intriguing. Why use something that doesn't sustain the environment? Obviously, environments vary. "The" environment is what most think of, but what about other facets of life? If there is a way that I can sustain my skin, my carpet, my car, my child's health, I want to do so. Unfortunately, in American society, everything is so throw-away, disposible. I love Chic-Fil-A, and I am not sure when Mark and I are going to cut off our addiction. But I hate the fact that they use styrofoam cups. What is the point? I can recycle cardboard or recycle plastic. But I can't wash styrofoam and it's so flimsy.
It wasn't until I got so interested in midwifery and homebirth that so many of these things were brought to my attention. Now, if I can recycle it, I do. Now, if I am aware that it is not good for my health, there is a switch in my conscience that goes off. I don't always answer, but at least it goes off...
Another really good example is ibuprofen. When I was sick (could have possibly been this year's flu), I took 1/2 of a 800 mg ibuprofen (I had them to help with the after-surgery pain from Abe's birth) to break my fever. It made Abe puke. Question: is it better to try some other remedy -- egg whites or apple cider vinegar compresses on the feet -- instead of making my baby puke, not to mention what the dose of drug may have done or be doing me? Besides curbing pain from major surgery, what is the real point of everyday drugs?
I am interested in gardening. I am interested in grinding my own wheat. I am plagued by not really having the space -- apartment style living is so compact. I am interested in sewing, but I am at a loss of a good teacher...and apartment style living is so compact.
This topic of sustainability is deep and intriguing. It means rethinking the typical ways of doing things. It means sacrificing convenience for long-term reward.
Friday, February 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ben and I are trying container gardening. You're limited to what you can plant, but something is better than nothing. As for sewing, your local fabric store probably offers classes. I know Hancock's does, but I'm also not sure if the Sabbath would be an issue. We've been feeling the confines of the apartment life, too. I want to garden and Ben wants a shop where he can build things. I guess such is life right now.
Post a Comment