Monday, February 04, 2008

Ay, Eire, Zerah.

Neat news: we are cashing in some premature savings bonds and an investment account, both of which Mark's family set up for him over the years. It may not make a whole lot of sense -- "why would you cash in future 'wealth?'" Two reasons -- one, the 'wealth' is only earning us like $30 a year. And two, the $2000 we have 'invested' will easily pay for itself in two months once we have zero debt. Cha-ching.

Second: the study of national symbols and the identity of nations is INCREDIBLE. Have you ever wondered why the eagle on our national seal has an olive leaf in his talon? Have you ever wondered why there is a harp & a red hand on the national seal of Ireland? Have you ever wondered what in the world a 'Saxon' really is? [I watched Arthur last night and Saxons are not portrayed as the good guys...] LCG has a lot of incredible clues. Sometimes I think we forget how many clues are right there for the taking. I just finished God's Church Through the Ages. It took 2 read throughs and a timeline of people & events to slightly grasp all the information. For the millionth time Ivor C. Fletcher's The Incredible History of God's True Church was recommended to me. These reads are extremely thought-provoking. There's a couple more that are must reads if you are going to be somewhat-literate in the history of Sabbath-keeping Christianity. We'll see just how many times they have to be recommended before I'll take heed. It's exciting to know who I am, where I come from, what lessons from history I can learn, and exactly what role our ancestors - both physical and spiritual - play in our lives even today.

1 comment:

Josh K said...

You mean you used the money that was earning 4% to pay off the debt that costs 12%? Seems to make sense to me.
I can't remember ever having The Incredible History of God's True Church recommended to me. You better read it and give me a rundown.